Siberian Baseball

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Dodgers are the McDonalds of baseball

I can only imagine being a bitter Brooklyn Dodger fan, flipping off the last moving truck as the team headed west for California.

"California?" You'd scream, rhetorically. "Screw 'em, no one will ever watch a game in LA. They'll be back with their tails between their legs in three years. And you know what? We'll be right here to tell them to screw off!"

At that point, I'd start to weep until someone took me home. Well, that's the most likely outcome.

Well, for the historically hypothetical me, today would have really, really sucked. According to tonight's Dodgers broadcast, the team turned over the odometer to 175 million fans in the history of the franchise. I can't find any other reference to this yet - Woohoo! The real media is on vacation! It's an exclusive! - but I'll keep checking.

Still, I can't help but wonder where the all-time stats stand for teams that have been around as long, if not longer. Specifically, the Yankees.

For now, the Dodgers are claiming the all-time record - and thank God for the Internet for sites like these to make life easy, great work BallparksofBaseball - which lists the Dodgers as the top draw in baseball for the 60s, 70s and 80s.

I can't help but wonder where they'd stand if attendance was taken when the game started, though. I'm betting they'd be running neck and neck with the Rockies.

(Image property of the Los Angeles Dodgers) at least I assume as much

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home