Siberian Baseball

Friday, June 02, 2006

Three days of Itchy

So the last post that got thrown in here was as I was getting ready to hit the Twins/Mariners games over last weekend. First up was Liriano versus Hernandez in a young hurler showdown.

It didn't disappoint.

Well, the game, not the pitchers. Liriano hung in there for a while and did better than expected, but Hernandez stumbled out of the blocks. Kinda like the season itself.

I went alone, found my seat and watched as the stadium filled with people for free hot dog and soda night. In appreciation of the fans who supported the team in their push for their own ballpark, the Twins and Hormel gave away a free hot dog and soda to every person who walked through the gates that night.

File that under things that never happen anywhere else but here. That file's getting thick.

So, free hot dogs, the dog and pony show and they cart out Old Carl's bony ass to watch the signing of the new stadium bill on the mound as the politicians mugged for the cameras and pretended to be lifelong fans as tags hung out the bottom of the jerseys their assistants bought that afternoon and will return the following day.

(Sidebar: Is there anything more ridiculous than celebs and other bigwigs who throw out the first pitch doing so with a team's jersey slipped on over a yellow polo? Anything? The only time it's acceptable to wear a collared shirt under a jersey is if you're being drafted in the first round of any sport. Trust me, I've never seen a governor with a decent arm - wait was John Wayne ever a governor? OK, no, I've never seen a governor with a decent arm.

This is just a stupid lack of planning on someone's part. They can't courier or FedEx a jersey the week before? There are no changing rooms under any major league stadium? Cubs fans, you've seen the 7th Inning Stretch, you're feeling me, right?)

Through all of this, I strike up a conversation with the fan next to me who'd seen all the major Twins events since the move in 1960. We're talking games at the Met, World Series games with Koufax and Drysdale as the 1-2 in the Dodger rotation. And yes, I asked and yes, Koufax threw the heaviest fastball they'd seen and the curve was just as big as people say. These are things I needed first-hand witnesses on before I died.

Check.

Anyways, a job in the ticket office means inside info on old players, current players and all sorts of cool baseball stuff. I heard a very personal account of Kirby Puckett going downhill after waking up one morning and seeing a spot in his vision and felt more emotional than I did at his memorial.

It's rare and amazing to find a lifelong fan who has seen all of the major events in the franchise history. It's rarer when it's a woman roughly my mom's age. In all, one of the top three ballgames I ever went to.

I wouldn't trade a game next to a fan for all the right reasons for anything in the world. A free hot dog? That's just more fun than should be legal.

* Saturday featured Boof Bonser's first home start. Twins fans love anyone with a name that sounds like a loud boo, so this is a perfect match. First Lou now Boof? It's an outlet for people too nice to legitimately boo someone on the field. Uh, Rondell White, you dodged a bullet, homeboy.

Boof loads the bases after getting rocked by Ichiro... then strikes out the four, five and six hitters in order.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Boof Bonser era has begun. Enjoy.

* Liriano jersey count (Friday)- 4.

Liriano jersey count (Saturday and Sunday) - 0.

It's gonna happen. I'll see a Liriano jersey at a game he's not starting before the summer is through.

* God damn, is Ichiro good. We had sixth row seats in right and saw him make a leaping catch that ranks up there among the most athletic actions I've ever witnessed. And I saw a dude fall down a flight of stairs without spilling his beer once, so I've seen plenty.

Some day I will tell grandchildren of seeing Itchy play in person and they will tell me I smell like old man and should stop yelling at the paperboy.

* Nothing beats a walk off home run to cap a weekend. In fact, nothing really beats the term "walk off home run." So much better than "buzzer beater" or "last-second field goal."

(Photo from kare11.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home